At times, it can be confusing to know who you need to see about your hearing issues. But one’s diagnosis and treatment options can take longer to be discovered and implemented when one goes to the wrong specialist.

When it comes to your hearing health, let’s take a quick look at who you should see and when.

The Audiologist

An Audiologist is a hearing health care professional who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of hearing loss.

You should see an Audiologist if you:

  • Fail a hearing screening at your primary care physician’s office
  • Notice a decrease in your hearing
  • Can hear a conversation but not understand what is being said
  • Are asking others to repeat themselves when talking to you
  • Have suffered a stroke
  • Have tinnitus symptoms (ringing, buzzing, roaring only you can hear)
  • Notice a decrease in your hearing after starting new medication or cancer treatment
  • Suspect a decline in your cognitive health


An ENT is a medical doctor that diagnoses and treats diseases and issues concerning the ear, nose and throat.

You should see an ENT if you:

  • Have a sudden hearing loss
  • Have a hearing loss in only one ear
  • Have a wax impaction in your ears
  • Suffer from chronic ear infections
  • Feel a fullness and pressure in your ear
  • Feel pain in your ears
  • Suffer from a hearing loss after a head trauma


When you see an Audiologist to have a hearing evaluation, if she/he suspects your hearing loss is due to a medical condition, a referral to an ENT will be given.

When you see an ENT for hearing issues, she/he will use an Audiologist’s evaluation results to diagnose and treat. But, if she/he suspects your hearing loss is due to never damage, a referral back to the Audiologist for hearing loss treatment will be given.

Still not sure who you should see first? Don’t hesitate to call Lemme Audiology Associates at (814) 941-7770 to find out. Based on your symptoms, we will let you know if you should make an appointment at our office or see the ENT first. If we suggest seeing the ENT first, we will inform you of what ENT offices are in your area and provide you with their phone numbers so you know what options you have.

Call Us